The following is the philosophy of Charles Schultz, creator of the Peanuts comic strip. Fiona Castle shared this on our weekend away…
Can you remember…
- Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
- Name the last five winners of the Grand National.
- Name the last five winners of Miss World.
- Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prizes.
- Name the last six Academy award winners for the best actor and actress.
- Name the last decade’s winners of the World Cup.
How did you do? Not very well, probably.
The point is, none of us remembers the headlines of yesterday, even though these people are no second rate achievers. In fact, they are the best in their fields.
But the applause dies.
Achievements are forgotten.
Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here’s another quiz. See how you do with this one.
- List a few teachers who helped you through your journey through school years.
- Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
- Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
- Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
- Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
I bet these answers are easier! The lesson….
The people who have made a difference to your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money or the most awards. They simply are the ones who care the most.